Thimble Thoughts: PR.....(Procedure Room?)

Thursday, May 29, 2008

PR.....(Procedure Room?)

I had a skin tag that decided to grow on the tip of my nose. It didn't hurt or anything but it was definitely annoying to have people say, "Kristi, you have something on your nose." Something like that can cause quite a mental disturbance. Mander said to reply back, "Get it off for me." Ha!

I clipped it off a couple of times but it kept coming back. Bruce told me to have it taken off so I made my appointment for this past Tuesday. He was surprised to find out I had actually made an appointment (cause I do not do doctors!) and suggested I have one under my arm removed too since I was going to be there anyway. I've had that one since I was born. It's never given me any problems but I asked her to get that one too when I went in. She looked at it and said, "Sure, I can get that one too."
Now, keep in mind I had thought all along I would get a couple of snips and be on my way home.
Boy, was I wrong!
She told me she would give me a shot (IN MY ARMPIT) to numb the area. While I was numbing she would burn the one on my nose and then she would cut the one under my arm. She said it was a little too large to just snip off and it would take about three snips, that's why she suggested the shot. "To be on the safe side we'll do a tetanus and I'll give you an antibiotic to take home too." Then she stuck her head out the door and told the nurse what she was doing and to"...please prepare the Procedure Room."
Procedure Room?!!
OK, so now we've gone from a couple of snips and go home to me getting shots, burns, and three snips in the PROCEDURE ROOM!
I waited in the PR by myself thinking about this. Suddenly I was scared and wanted Bruce there to hold my hand. It didn't make matters better when I saw the little table next to me baring scissors, needles, and bandages.

When she came in the PROCEDURE ROOM she could tell I had worked myself up into a frenzy. She was so sweet and calmed me down before she started.
First....the armpit shot! OW! That is SUCH a delicate place...did you know? BTW, I learned that my insurance pays better if she tells them it was my axilla and not my armpit.
Then....the nose burn. That made my toes curl and knees lock. A few seconds seemed like a full minute. I was glad when she let go. But she felt she needed to do one more.
Great.
Another few seconds and voila. I now have a blister on the end of my nose.
Next....the armpit! I couldn't feel anything, but I knew she was cutting. Yep, three snips, just like she thought.
Oh, here's the best part...."Hey, I got the little sucker, you wanna see it? Looks like it goes down pretty far, though, so I'll need to get a scalpel to cut and remove the rest."
"Scalpel?!"
"Yeah, don't let the big words scare you."
"Well, stop using the big words and I won't be scared."
She cut some and then burned it because it was bleeding pretty bad. Slapped a band aid on it and it was finally over. Oh wait...no it wasn't.
"Let me burn the one on your nose just one more time. It's actually bigger than it looks. As a matter of fact, I want you to come back in two weeks so we can burn it again."
:(
After that last burn, I sat in the hall waiting for my tetanus shot. "This won't hurt," the nurse said.
"What do you mean?"
"You won't be sore later."
She lied. She lied. She lied!

I was only comforted at the thought of my giant jug of shaved ice, waiting for me at home, given to me by my friend, Amy, the day before. Ahhhh, what a nice comfort to come home to. I sat down with my big jug and spoon and enjoyed every cool bite.
Amy, thanks for the shaved ice. Your jug is in Mrs. Janet's office.

I'll admit that where I got my tetanus is not as sore as I suppose it could have been, but it still made my shoulder sore. My nose has a little blister on it but that's going away...I think. And my underarm is still in a good deal of pain. But this too shall pass.
Poor me.

Labels: