Thimble Thoughts: Eternal Security Part V

Monday, July 30, 2007

Eternal Security Part V

I discussed in earlier posts why I believe in eternal security. There was one more post I needed for that series and I'm ashamed to say that I am JUST NOW getting that done. Shame on me. I kept putting it off until I'd forgotten about it and as I was getting ready to add some new sites to my sidebar, I realized I had put this last part off long enough. If you would like to read the other posts, please click the links below:

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

In Part IV, I talked about our spiritual location and our possessions. To wrap up this series, I wanted to talk about what is past, and what we are promised.

What is past is the law of sin and death. In Romans 8:2 it says, "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." When I accepted Christ into my heart, His Holy Spirit set Himself inside of me and freed me from sin. Do I still sin? Every single day. But I am no longer under that bondage. His Spirit not only set me free from the bondage of sin, but it also set free from death. Will I die? If the Lord does not come back before I die, then, yes! I will die. But my soul will live for eternity. I have been spared from eternal death in Hell.

What is past is death and wrath. Colossians 3:3 says, "For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God." Romans 6:11 "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." I Thessalonians 5:9 "For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ" I don't have to worry about dying and facing the wrath of God. I'm a child of God. I will live forever free from death and His wrath.

What is past is condemnation. John 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my words and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall no come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." I have heard His words....I believe on God....therefore, I have everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation. When I die, I will pass on into life. There are no stipulations there! Praise the Lord!

What is past is Night and darkness. I Thessalonians 5:5 "Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness." Everything dark seems to be of evil. It's a comfort to be called a child of light. Jesus Christ Himself is the light of the world. And for those of us who are saved, we have become His child. Shining His light everywhere we go.

Here is what we are promised. I really, really like this one. This is the icing on the cake. God has yet to ever break a promise and so I wait with anticipation the things He has promised His children.

We are promised the glory of God. Romans 5:2 "By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."

We are promised redemption of the body. Romans 8: 23-24 "And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?" Philippians 3:21 "Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."

We are promised NEVER to perish. John 10: 27-28 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall NEVER perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

We are promised to be conformed to the image of Christ. Romans 8:28-29 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethern."

We are promised to appear with Christ in glory. Colossians 3:3-4 "For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."

We are promised to be not appointed to wrath, but to salvation. I Thessalonians 5:9 "For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ."

We are promised to be delivered from the wrath to come. I Thessalonians 1:10 "And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come."

We are promised incorruptible inheritance. I Peter 1:4 "To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you"

We are promised that He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."

We are promised that we will never die. John 11:26 "And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

We are promised the glorious liberty of the children of God. Romans 8:21 "Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God."

We are promised that God shall confirm us unto the end. I Corinthians 1:8 "Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ."

We are promised eternal inheritance. Hebrews 9:15 "And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance."

We are promised to be saved from wrath. Romans 5:9 "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

We are promised that we cannot be separated from God's love. Romans 8: 31-39 "What shall we say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, for thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I do hope that if you do not believe in eternal security, that you will prayerfully take all of these scripture into prayerful consideration and one day know the peace that comes from knowing that once you have accepted Christ as your Saviour, you are forever His child. You cannot experience real joy and peace in your Christian walk when you do not believe that you are continually in His righteous hand no matter what.

Labels: ,