Thimble Thoughts: Why I Believe In Eternal Security

Monday, July 24, 2006

Why I Believe In Eternal Security

A few days ago, I had mentioned to someone in the blogging world that I was planning on doing another series, but this time on eternal security. I don't know if this will last as many days as the Lessons From The Geese, but there are some that wonder why or how we believe in eternal security and so I wanted to take an opportunity to share with you what has been gathered from God's WORD on the subject.

First of all, I don't believe in eternal security because it's the way I've been raised. I'll admit that my upbringing had a lot to do with it, but it is not the core of why I believe.

And secondly, my favorite verse in the Bible, or at least ONE of my favorite verses, is II Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." So not only is it not my upbringing, but it is also that I am not listening to a preacher stand behind a pulpit reading off a couple of verses while he backs it up with a message making me feel like if I do some sin without ever asking forgiveness, I'll die and spend eternity in Hell. It is because by studying God's WORD myself I have come to the realization that my salvation can never be taken away or given up. This has been an object of discussion amongst friends and family many times. We have even been told it must be nice to live under such an umbrella. It was meant as sarcasm, but I had to laugh because I really do think it's wonderful. And if the person who said that is reading this, you know I love you very much. (((((hugs)))))

And thirdly, you can't argue with scripture. It is there for a reason, if you don't believe it all, you might as well take your Bible in your left hand, walk to the trash can and chuck it in. Take it all or leave it all.

I think it is very important for a person who believes something to know WHY he believes it. So with that said, here is why I believe in eternal security.

Hebrews 6:4, "For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

This verse tells me that you can't fall away and come back! Oh, no!!
Oh, yes! Mainly because--you can't fall away. Romans 8:38 & 39 says, "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
What else is there if nothing in life nor death? Well, there's me! Can I separate myself? NO!
Phillippians 1:6, "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." Please be patient, God isn't finished with me yet, and he's never going to QUIT working on me.
II Timothy 1:9, "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began."
vs 12, "For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."
So take your pick...Romans is wonderful. I believe it's the one that inspired Martin Luther along with Galatians 3, O foolish Galatians...

Tomorrow I'll post more on why I believe once saved, ALWAYS saved.

Labels: