Thimble Thoughts: School, Blessings, Pets, and My Book

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

School, Blessings, Pets, and My Book

We got off to another slow start this morning, but was still able to finish school and get lunch cooked before Bruce had to leave for work.

While I was cooking lunch, the Lord lifted a heavy burden off of my dear husband and he had a very happy afternoon. So I must give the Lord praise for that!! Thank you, Lord \o/. More blessings await in 2008!

Every time I would walk by Hannah's room today, Yogi would start squeaking loudly as if to say he wanted someone to pay him attention. So Hannah brought him out with her for a little bit while she did her school work.


He sat on her school books while eating a big piece of green pepper I cut for him. He LOVES green peppers and apples.


I've been meaning to show you, for weeks now, the book my friend, Kellie, gave me for Christmas. I had my Christmas gifts from friends in a corner of my room to be put away and while I was putting them away one day, I flipped through the book reading a paragraph here and a paragraph there. Next thing I know I'm sitting in the floor and I've read 3/4 of the book. I finished it the next day and I have to tell you it is so good and so sweet.
The title of the book is Secrets of Wisdom from Mother's Heart, by Joe Aldrich. He is one of nine children whose mother, Doris Coffin Aldrich, wrote a column called "Out of the Mixing Bowl" for Moody magazine. The book is a collection of articles that were written by her.

Here is an excerpt from the Foreword....

During my senior year of high school, my mother, Doris Coffin Aldrich, was killed in an automobile accident. Mother was an extremely intelligent, highly educated woman. She studied at the University of Washington and graduated from Biola College. Married at thirty-one to Willard Aldrich (the President of Multnomah Bible College and Biblical Seminary for thirty-five years), she bore nine children. Her clearly stated mission was to raise a godly family.
As mom's life so clearly demonstrated, the high and holy calling of motherhood is one of the most challenging assignments on the face of the earth. It is a sacred trust, a commitment to use every means possible to help each child grow up loving Jesus and embracing His agenda for life.

A godly mother counteracts the influences of contemporary culture by structuring an environment where beauty reigns. Our threadbare sofas, sagging springs, and frayed carpets did not deter us from the beauty of God's handiwork that surrounded us. Although well-used, our home was truly that - a home, not a house. Sweaty, sloppy boys fought with glee in it. Oil leaked from the oil-stove, bathtubs overflowed, food frequently ended up on the floor, tricycles clogged doorways or blocked traffic in the kitchen. More often that not, beds were left unmade. Most mornings there were wet sheets and pajamas to attend to, not to mention all the other clothes that needed to be washed and washed and washed again.
But in the midst of what I'm sure seemed like chaos, there was beauty....

Isn't that good? I'll share one of her articles tomorrow.

Labels: , ,