Thimble Thoughts: Don't Forget The Paddle

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Don't Forget The Paddle

I did a dumb thing the other day. We decided it was time to enjoy some homemade ice cream. At our house this is one sure way to liven up a dull day, for we all love it.

It's strange, isn't it, that in all the years people have been selling ice cream not one company has been able to market a product that even begins to compare with homemade ice cream. Brenda asked me why the other day, and I didn't know how to answer her. It just seems that this is one delicacy that requires the loving care of home folks. Some even argue that you have to turn the crank by hand really to get the best result, but we have gone electric at our house, perhaps to our loss.

Honestly now, can you think of any taste in this world more delightful than the first scrapings from the paddle after you pull it out of the freezer? It's a good thing the ingredients are so expensive, or I would be twice my present size, happily spooning my way to obesity.

Our freezer had been turning for half an hour when I stopped it to take a look. Something told me that all was not well. I lifted the lid, peered hopefully inside, and then to my chagrin, discovered my dumb mistake. I hadn't put the paddle in!

All that potential recipe was resting on the bottom, freezing to the sides, but not about to be converted into ice cream!

With some frantic maneuvers we managed to recover some of our loss, but I learned one important lesson: You can't make ice cream without the paddle. There must be something to stir up the ingredients.

Now, you're wondering what application I'm going to make of that. Isn't it obvious? There is still the need in Christian homes for the use of a paddle now and then. There is no other way, really, to take the delightful ingredients that make up a young child and to convert that child into the pleasing, satisfying, God-honoring adult we will be proud to present to the world. The Bible supports the idea of firm discipline given by loving parents. Many of our world problems today are undoubtedly partly because somebody forgot the paddle.

There is also this application we might suggest: Anything worth doing requires some constant stirring. The Apostle Paul told Timothy to stir up the gift that was in him. If the Lord has bestowed gifts upon us - and it is certain that He has - let's make sure we stir them up. Don't leave the paddle out.

~Wendell E. Kent


Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
This story and application was taken from the book Under Construction which can be ordered through the Sword of the Lord. I love this book because of all it's little treasures tucked inside.


Labels: