Thimble Thoughts: Can You Explain This To Me?

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Can You Explain This To Me?

I'm somewhat confused and venting at the same time....

I went to the doctor today. Since Bruce's insurance won't kick in on his new job until the end of August, the office visit was $1oo. The good news is that I really liked this new doctor, Dr. Wilson. She was wonderful. I'll be seeing her from now on.

The diagnosis was a double ear infection, upper respiratory infection, sinus infection, and I'm on the verge of walking pneumonia. She prescribed a STRONG dose of antibiotic and another medicine to help clear up all the gunk in my head and chest. She was kind enough to prescribe lots of fluid and bed rest as well. I'll see her again in a couple of weeks to make sure everything is clearing up good.

But here is what I'd like someone to explain.......

I went to CVS pharmacy to have my prescriptions filled. I told them I was not insured and expected it to be more pricey than the copay we're used to. I did not, however, expect my antibiotic to be $125.99 and my other meds to be $123.99. I said, "Uhh, generic brands are OK, if you'd like to refill that." Guess what! It was generic! LOL So I kindly gave them back to her and told her I was going to try a different route. As I walked to the car I decided I would go back to the doctor and ask if they had samples of what I needed. I know that a lot of doctors will keep samples and give you what you need if you ask for them. But to my dismay, they did not have the dosage I needed in their samples. The doctor walked me into her office and got online to rewrite the prescription and told me to take it to Wal Mart. Are you ready for this? At Wal Mart my antibiotic was $4.00 and my other was $6.99. Now, can SOMEONE please tell me how in the world the same medicines could have such a difference in prices? I did a little asking about that and Wal Mart said they've had this program for uninsured people for a long time. Other pharmacies do not do this.

And here's another thing? What about these elderly people that aren't insured and don't know about this program? And if they can do it for the uninsured, why can't they do it for everybody? I just don't get it, do you?