Thimble Thoughts: A Very "Postal" Day

Friday, October 06, 2006

A Very "Postal" Day

I promised some blogging friends (3 sisters) that I was going to send them something to their home in Northern Ireland where they are missionaries. Their mother recently put some facts about me together and realized that our family attends a church that has supported them since they've been there in NI. Now isn't that neat?? Small world? Or Big God???

Anyway, I shamefully got around to sending those items today. Looking back on the errand, it was quite humorous and oh, such a Kristi day.

We started out with our school lessons. Justin had worked a little extra the night before so that his day would be shorter and he could get to his yard cutting jobs before the day got too gone.

I dropped him off at his first yard, which I knew would take at the very least an hour and a half. I could pick up a few things, pack up their box, mail it, and be back in time to drop Justin off at his next yard. So off I went.

I stopped at the store and bought a box, some packing tape, a pack of two black magic markers, and I was set. After purchasing said items, I realized that I had left something at home......3 sister's address. Oh dear. I better call Hannah. The phone rang, and rang, and rang. The answering machine picked up. "Hannah, pick up the phone please. Mommy needs something. Hannah? Pick up the phone. If you're looking for the phone, it's on the counter by the stove. Page it if you can't find it. Please, Hannah, hurry."
"Hello?"
"Oh good. You found it."
"Are you OK?"
"Yes, I'm OK. I just need you to do something for me. Go to my laptop and open it. Are you there yet?"
"Yes. I have it opened."
"Now, push the power button until you see the green lights come on"
"OK, they're on. It's asking for your password."
"*******"
"OK, I'm in."
"Click on my outlook express"
"Your what?"
"My mail....outlook express."
"I don't see it."
"It's at the bottom of the desktop."
"I still don't see it."
"Nevermind. Open up the Internet."
"OK, I've done that."
"Now, click on my envelope."
"OK.......Read mail?"
"Yes, read mail. Scroll down to Lydia's name."
"There is no Lydia. But you do have something from Mrs. Kellie."
"I don't need Mrs. Kellie's, Hannah. Please hunt for Lydia's."
"I don't see it."
"What about something from Three Sister's?"
"No, I don't see that either."
what is it???? "OH! Try Alan ***"
"OK, I found it."
"Open it up and read me the address inside."
"***??*** ****???? Sorry, I can't pronounce it."
"Spell it, Hannah."
"***********"
"Next line"
"***********"
"Next?"
"********, oh, did you need to know that there was an apostrophe between the s and the C?"
"Well, that might be useful. Is that it?"
"*******"
"Thank you, honey."

This conversation took place between a million bleeps from the phone whose battery was going dead.

I tucked their address safely in my pocketbook and NOW I was off to the post office. I pulled in, jumped out of my van and it was so crowded inside the PO, I decided just to pack the box there at the van. I went over my check list.

Box? X
Tape? X
Markers? X
Address? X
Items?......uh oh. Where's my third item. Here's two. Here's the book....where's my third item?? UGH! It's at home by my bed!!!! Well, isn't that just dandy??? That's all right. I know God has some purpose in this. I don't know what on earth it could be, but I'm sure He has a reason. So I'll not get upset. I'll just mail it later this afternoon.

The rest of the day went fine. Later in the afternoon I was able to make another run to the post office. This time I had everything.
Box? X
Tape?X
Markers? X
Address? X
Items? X
I began to tape up the bottom of the box. Realized I had left my letter to Lydia on the table at home and scratched her another one on Postal paper. Placed item number one into the box. Item number two. Item number three. Item number four. My note to Lydia. *deep sigh of relief.* Now all I had to do was tape it shut, address it, and mail it. I taped it shut, got out my address, and was going to open my new markers. Where are my markers? They were right here. Not on the floor. Not on the counter. In my box??? Hmmm, I suppose that's the only place they could be because they're certainly not here. Should I open the box? No way! I am not opening that box! Not for eighty-seven cent markers!

And I didn't either. I just used the postal lady's marker. So Lydia, Grace, and Hannah, if you open the box and see that Sis Kristi has sent you two really cheap black magic markers, you'll know why. LOL

Labels: