Thimble Thoughts: Getting Excited

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Getting Excited

Christmas is, without a doubt, my absolute favorite holiday. It's a beautiful time of year with all the warm lights at night and greenery. Cups of hot cocoa and wassil. Visits with friends and family. But it's mostly my favorite because it's the time of year where we celebrate the birth of a King, born to die.

With just a few weeks before us, I wanted to do several different types of posts on Christmas. I know what you're thinking....But we haven't even celebrated Thanksgiving yet! I know. But I'll be doing some posts on Thanksgiving too. Next to Christmas, Thanksgiving is right up there at the top of my list.

So this post will be a kids craft post. It doesn't have to be just for kids. As a matter of fact, I saved a batch of dough just for me. But I did let my two younger children do it this week and they had a ball. It took us a few days to complete the craft, but only because we had so many irons in the fire this week. So we ended up doing it in spurts.

I got this idea from Be Not Conformed. Mrs. R posted the recipe for ornament making and I must say it was very simple, turning out quite nicely.

The recipe is simple:
2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
1 cup of water

*Mix the ingredients together.
*Roll it out and cut with cookie cutters.
*Make sure to poke a hole in the ornament with a toothpick, so you can put the string through. We used the flat end of a scewer. They do rise a little, so take that in account when making the hole.
*Bake the dough at 300 for an hour. Turn the ornaments over halfway through baking.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The dough. I doubled the batch so I could make some later.
It's still in my fridge.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Rolled

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Harrison cutting.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Harrison painting. He's concentrating hard, isn't he? He is amazing!
I put down an old sheet over the table AND vinyl place mats to work
on. He STILL managed to get paint on the table. It was washable
paint, but Hannah and I couldn't figure out how he did it. LOL

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The painted pieces.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hannah is putting on the ribbon.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The finished products.

And by the way, these ornaments are very hard. Harrison deliberately tried to break one and couldn't. So they should last a few years.

Labels: ,