Thimble Thoughts: Valentine Banquet 2008

Monday, February 18, 2008

Valentine Banquet 2008


The theme for our banquet this year was Love Warms the Heart. Mrs. Janet had worked so hard on our giant snowman at Christmas that I really hated to see him go so I decided a winter theme would be good. Several of my friends had some great ideas for making the decorations come to fruition!
I used a graphic on my photoexplosion to make this banner. Mrs. Amanda colored it in for me and hung it up.


Dana had an idea for ice sculptures for the table. Sounds pretty complicated, I know. I'm sure you're wondering if I broke out the chain saw. But this was so simple! We used a heart-shaped cake pan for this.

We filled the pan with water, dropped some food coloring in the water, and as it froze, the coloring moved toward the center of the heart. Bruce made some stands out of wire coat hangers and we dressed them to make them look nice.
They were lovely on the table and as they began to melt, they almost looked fake. Several people were looking and touching to see if they were real.
Thanks for the idea, Dana! It turned out great.




Tammy worked on the bulletin board. I thought it turned out great. Thanks, Tammy!



I found a fireplace prop on the Internet and knew it would be pretty for the banquet so Pam and Amy worked on making one. I helped too, but very little. For the fireplace we used large pieces of cardboard and rock paper. Pam and Amy did the bulk of it and did an excellent job! I just loved how it turned out. Thanks y'all! It looked awesome!



Ted and Rebecca and their sons (Justin and Jamie) worked on our trees. The trees were set in concrete in large coffee cans. The boys spray painted some of the trees silver and some of them white. Then Ted and Rebecca placed the lights on them. Once we were ready to put the trees in their places around the room, they were given a final touch of a mound of snow around the base to help cover up the cans. The snow, of course, was rolled cotton.



I found this idea on the Internet also. These were pilars to walk through as you came in. It's not a great picture, but we made them be using eight feet tall wooden dowels and cutting eight circles with 1 and 1/4" holes. One was placed at the top, one at the bottom, and two near the center. Mrs. Janet and I covered them in corregated blue paper with snow flakes all over it, topped with isicle border at the top. The pilars were easy to make and you could use any kind of decorative paper. Thank you, Clayton for cutting out the circles and Bruce for cutting out the holes. And thank you, Mrs. Janet for the idea of making the pilars work!!!!



We also made large picture windows on either side of the fireplace. On the back wall we used the blue snowflake paper(not corregated) and then placed a tree with lights on it behind the windows.



Some of these pictures I got from my mom and dad. This is Robert and Logan.



Bradley and Melissa


Brother Blain and Mrs. Cami. They're Bradley's parents.


Jeremy, Evan, and Justin served drinks and cleaned off the tables for us. A couple of people mentioned they looked like Mormons in their black pants and white shirts. lol



Chris and Amanda



Chris and Dana


Mike and Susan


Pam and Joel. Pam will kill me if she ever sees this picture, but it's the only one I have of them. I think daddy must have caught her off guard, because it looks like she's eating or something.


Brian and Amy....awwww


Everyone gathered around to make their salads. The menu was your choice of steak or chicken, baked potatoes, salads, and desserts. Brother Greg was the master grill man, along with Brother Brian. Y'all did a FANTASTIC job. Everything was so good!

Playing the Newlywed Game. Oh, sorry, Chad! I didn't get you in there after all! My bad! Ken and Leslie won this game but it was funny to hear some of the answers to the questions asked.

Pastor giving a devotional


Me and Bruce...if you'll notice he wore his Pepe Le Pu tie for this special banquet.


Mom and Dad

Wayne and Vicki

Brother Johnny and Mrs. Vondie

I love this picture. It made my eyes well up with tears. This is Brother and Sister Rector. They are such a sweet little couple.

The Heffners


Percey Cution and the Heartburns were there too. They were so funny.
This is Percey and his woman, Electra Cution

We had a great time and missed everyone that was not able to attend.
Here's a video of the kissing game. The husbands were lined up while their wives were given a tube of lipstick. The wives were given twenty seconds to put as many kiss marks on their husbands bald heads as possible. The couple with the most kiss marks won the game. The winner of this game was Brother Mike and Mrs. Susan. That's me in the back introducing the game.

Labels: ,