Thimble Thoughts: Sad, Sad Story

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sad, Sad Story

Today we had Mary Elizabeth, Caleb and Celine to grace our humble abode. I had to send ALL the children outside for fear they would wake Bruce from his sleepytime. Of course they weren't out there ALL day, just for about an hour or so after lunch. But they had fun jumping on the trampoline and swinging and that sort of fun kiddy stuff.

When the children were picked up, Bruce left to pay some bills and I took Justin to his Grandmother Morrow's house to cut grass while Hannah, Harrison and I visited with Grandmother and Bruce's Aunt Sue. When Justin finished cutting the front yard Grandmother pulled her car in the grass and Hannah washed it for her. Grandmother has a naughty bird in her carport that has taken up residence over her car...need I say more?

I started dieting today....UGH! Will this battle ever end? I know my new and glorified body will not suffer the pains of the eating war that it must endure on this earth. I guess that's just one more thing to look forward to, aye? But here's my very sad, sad story. :*(

Around 10:00 this morning I put a beautiful pot roast in the crockpot with a bag of carrots and some of my favorite seasonings. I'm doing the ADA diet where all food groups are incorporated. It's much more balanced and healthy that way. I decided that I would save my "meat" for the evening meal so I didn't have any for breakfast or lunch. All day long the smell of that roast was divine to my nostrils. It smelled so good. I was saving myself for dinner. I knew that it would be the best meal of the day. For breakfast I had a small bowl of cereal and for lunch I had a bagel. I was saving my calories. Anyway, I took the kids to my mother-in-laws where she was gracious to ask me if I wanted to eat something. "Oh, no, I've been cooking a pot roast all day with baby carrots and I'm saving myself for that." I was so proud of myself because she had cornbread and I was so hungry but I didn't have a smidgen of it. I'm saving myself I thought. Finally, the grass was cut, the car was washed and it was time to go home. Pot roast was on my mind and there was nothing in my way to keep me from sinking my teeth into that juicy, delectable meat. My hubby greeted me at the door. Move out of my way...I'm hungry! No, I didn't tell him that, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking it. I grabbed four plates out of the cabinet and began to portion out my children's servings. But wait....WHERE'S THE BEEF! There was a small portion of meat left in the crockpot about the size of an adult hand. (Bruce had eaten, but said his portion was small. It must have shrunk.) I suppose I could have divided what was left evenly among the four of us, but Justin is a growing boy and I knew he would need more. So I grumpily gave him my portion and settled for the carrots and a bowl of cheerios. This can't be God's will for me tonight, I thought, I've waited patiently for ten hours for that roast. What kind of lesson is He trying to teach me in this? When I figure out the answer to that one, I'll let you know. "This is great Mom," one child said. "Yeah, Mom. This is the best pot roast you've ever fixed," cried another. I'm glad they enjoyed it. But that's my sad, sad story.

Labels: