Thimble Thoughts: Is Chivalry Dead?

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Is Chivalry Dead?

As I said yesterday, Justin had plans with Teens-4-Christ to go to the Columbia Zoo. His best friend, Jeremy, joined the group a couple of days ago and was also going. He was going to have his mother drop him off here and I was going to take the boys to Brother Randy and Sis Kellie's home at 8:30 this morn. They live about 15 minutes away. This morning I woke up to a phone call from Jeremey at 6:00. The conversation went something like this:

Mrs. Morrow?
Yes
This is Jeremy.
Hi Jeremy.
Are you asleep?
(Not Now!)Um, no.
Well, I just wanted you to know that I was on my way. I'll be there in a few minutes.
OK, I'll wake Justin and he can greet you at the door....

So Jeremy got here and they went next door to the yard sale. Hannah went too. She found a tea pot for mom and a lava lamp and sandals for herself. She was pleased. Anyway, I took the boys to Brother Randy and Sis Kellie's home and there were already a couple of teens there. After we said our goodbyes I decided I would stop at Grandpa's Store on the way home and get one of those new Diet Dr. Pepper Berries and Cream. I often say I have Lucille Ball days and today was one of those days. It had been raining and I had on a pair of sandals with slick bottoms. When I walked in the store I took about five steps and my feet flew out from under me. My first thought was, oh dear!, and my reaction was to grab for something to hold on to so I wouldn't hit the floor. But the only thing there was a rack on the end isle with little debbie cakes and Lance Crackers on it. You know what I'm talking about. You've seen them. Anyhow, It was a very unsuccssful attempt and I hit the floor taking Little Debbies and crackers with me. I just sat there in my humiliation when the man at the counter turned and said, "Well...Darlin'." Then I cracked up and had to laugh. But did he offer to help a lady up? Nope. Is chivalry dead? Oh well. I still got my berries and cream soda.

I went shopping with my mother and there were no tragic events. She did buy me a beautiful suit and jewelry set for church. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. We shared a lot of laughs and giggles. We found some paint at Lowe's for her kitchen. It's going to be so pretty when it's painted. We chose a sand color because she likes Palm trees and pineapples and has the dishes and place mats and all that stuff.

We came home in time for me to eat lunch with Hannah and Harrison and then we left for a birthday party. Our SS teacher's daughter turned 2. She's a cutie pie.

Brother RJ and Sis Liz were getting ready to leave and needed me to move my car so they could get out. I figured I would just turn around in the yard and let them out and then park facing going out of the driveway, but as I was turning in the grass I realized the car was slowing down and eventually wouldn't move. I was stuck. Stuck in mud! Mr. Corriveau, Brother Ted and Brother Ken worked effortlessly to get my car out of the mud. Finally they had a plan that worked. They tied a cable from my car to Mr. Corriveau's van and pulled it right out. I was so thankful. You have no idea. I was just happy my front end wasn't torn apart. You have to know Brother Ken to understand that. Hehe. Just kidding, Brother Ken. I really do appreciate them working so hard to get my car out of the mud.

So I guess the answer to my question is No, chivalry is NOT dead. Thanks, guys.

Justin got back from the zoo sometime after 6:00 and told me all about his day. Here are some pictures from his trip followed by pics from Naomi's birthday:



The Birthday girl.


Baby Sam and Sis Liz


Blowing out candle.


Enjoying cake and ice cream.


Hannah


Justin....One of the young men in our church and cousin to Naomi.


Caleb enjoying a cupcake.


Jamie...another young man in our church and cousin to Naomi.


Michaela.


Naomi playing with her Koosh ball.


Harrison blowing bubbles at the party.


Yard damage from getting stuck in the mud.


Muddy car.


Bruce getting the mud off. Thanks, hon.

Labels: ,