Thimble Thoughts: Thanksgiving Dinners and Cosmic Bowling

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving Dinners and Cosmic Bowling


Tonight was our Ladies Thanksgiving Dinner at the church. It was so good and we had such a great time.

I cooked a turkey that the church purchased and a pan of dressing. Although, my dressing was a tad salty. I was really embarassed to say it was mine. So I didn't. As a matter of fact, I wrote someone else's name on the pan. just kidding!

Mrs. Ava had us sing Patch the Pirate's Attitude Gratitude song after we ate. You know, it's hard to sing with a full belly. But it's a cute song. Have you heard it?
Normally I write a skit for our ladies meetings, but this time I just read something to the ladies I thought was cute....with exclamation, of course. Several people thought it was funny and wanted a copy of it so I thought y'all might like it too.

When I was a young turkey, new to the coop,
My big brother Mike took me out on the stoop,
There he sat me down, and he spoke real slow,
And he told me there was something I should know;
His look and his tone I will always remember,
When he told me the horrors of ..... Black November;
"Each day you'll be thick, where once you were thin,
And you'll grow a big rubbery thing under your chin."
And then one morning, when you're warm in your bed,
In'll burst the farmer's wife, and hack off your head;
"Then she'll pluck out your feathers so you're bald'n pink,
And scoop out your insides and leave ya lyin' in the sink,"
And then comes the worst part" he said not bluffing,
"She'll spread you apart and pack you with stuffing!"
Well, the rest of his words were too grim to repeat,
I sat on the stoop like a winged piece of meat,
And decided on the spot that to avoid being cooked,
I'd have to lay low and remain overlooked;
I began a new diet of nuts and granola,
High-roughage salads, juice and diet cola,
And as they ate pastries, chocolates and crepes,
I stayed in my room doing Jane Fonda tapes,
I maintained my weight of two pounds and a half,
And tried not to notice when the bigger birds laughed;
But 'twas I who was laughing, under my breath,
As they chomped and they chewed, ever closer to death;
And sure enough when Black November rolled 'round,
I was the last turkey left in the entire compound;
So now I'm a pet in the farmer's wife's lap;
I haven't a worry, so I eat and I nap,
She held me today, while sewing and humming,
She smiled at me dearly and said

"Christmas is coming........"


Isn't that cute?

I went to this meeting and didn't have my camera! Can you believe that? But my friend, Meghan, allowed me to take pictures with her camera and I'm hoping she'll get those to me soon.

After the ladies dinner, the youth group met to go Cosmic Bowling. It was a very interesting atmosphere. The kids had a great time and it was fun watching them. Hannah let me bowl one time in her spot but all I had on were socks. OK, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess what happened to me. Yep...wipe out. And wouldn't you know Mrs. Liz would get a picture of me on the floor? Just a little tip here...never count on the non skid tabs on your socks to keep you from sliding when you go bowling.

So that was our night. It was fun. It was adventurous.

Tomorrow we'll be attending the wedding of Bruce's cousin. It'll be good to be with the family again.

Labels: ,