Thimble Thoughts: What Kind Of Book Is It?

Thursday, June 07, 2007

What Kind Of Book Is It?


With all the literary memes floating around blogworld, I thought I would do a post on the Bible. Just what kind of book is it?

Well let's see:

It's a history book
A mystery book
A book of ethics
A do-it-yourself manual
A geography lesson
A love story
A passport
An organization chart
A self-improvement course
A travel brochure
A code book
A diary
A law journal
And otherwise just good reading!

So, whatever your need, the Bible has the answer!


I Am The Bible
I am the Bible, God's wonderful library. I am always - and above all - the truth.
To the weary pilgrim, I am a strong staff.
To the one who sits in darkness, I am glorious light.
To those who stumble beneath heavy burdens, I am sweet rest.
To him who has lost his way, I am a safe guide.
To those who are sick in sin, I am healing strength and forgivenss.
To the discouraged, I am a glad message of hope.
To those who are distressed and tossed about by the storms of life, I am an anchor, sure and steady.
To those who search for salvation, I reveal the Savior of the world.

I am the Bible - God's HOLY WORD.


Interesting Facts About the Bible

Number of books in the OT 39
Number of books in the NT 27
Total number of books in the Bible 66
Number of chapters in the OT 929
Number of chapters in the NT 260
Total number of chapters in the Bible 1,189
Shortest chapter in the Bible Psalm 117
Shortest verse in the Bible John 11:35
Longest verse in the Bible Esther 8:9

How The Bible Describes Itself

Light: "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Fire: "Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord" Jeremiah 23:29

Seed: "The seed is the word of God" Luke 8:11

Bread: "Man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord." Deuteronomy 8:3

Milk: "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word" 1 Peter 2:2

Honey: "The law of the Lord is...sweeter also than honey" Psalm 19: 7-10

Meat: "Strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age" Hebrews 5:14

Gold: "More to be desired....than gold" Psalm 19:10

Sword: "The word of God is...sharper than any two-edged sword" Hebrews 4:12

Hammer: "Is not my word...like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" Jeremiah 23:29

Labels: