Thimble Thoughts: Finally Home

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Finally Home

We attended the funeral of Bruce's Aunt Bertha today. As I was getting dressed, I prayed that the Lord would use the service to plant the seed of salvation in the hearts of anyone there that may not know Him. I believe He did.

It was a very God-honoring service. Wonderful things were said about Aunt Bertha and what a sweet saint she was.

I remember the first time I met her was at a family reunion. She came over to talk to me and while she was speaking, I was paying attention to her, but my eyes wandered off of her to something in the background. Next thing I know, she had my chin in her hands turning my attention back to her. LOL Now, I don't like for ANYONE to touch my face, ever, at all! But that's one memory I don't mind. It was just so funny to me, having just met her.

The Pastor that preached her funeral mentioned that in the last couple of days she was here, she would raise her frail hands in the air and say over and over again, "Wonderful Saviour, wonderful Saviour." I believe we call this dying grace.

As I watched the funeral home assistants roll her beautiful caskit out of the church as her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren sadly followed, I couldn't help but think how life just stops for one, and goes on for those left behind. Surely, Aunt Bertha's life will have left a mark on her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Her Christ will be exalted in their lives and in the lives of those they present Him to.

But you know, her life did not just stop. It has only just begun. I can imagine that as she crossed from this life into the next, she was greeted by Uncle Troy. He was her faithful husband and brother to Bruce's dad. As they hugged and smiled at each other, I'm sure she turned to find Grandmother Morrow standing there waiting to take her hand. But just before this wonderful reunion, as she closed her eyes in death and drew that last breath, she opened her new eyes to behold the face of that wonderful Saviour she had served and loved all these years. Can you imagine what that must be like?

I told you I had prayed and asked the Lord to plant a seed in hearts, and I know He did. The scripture was given and through a poem that Aunt Dessie wrote, the plan of salvation was certainly given. It was a beautiful poem. I wish I had a copy of it. But the Bible says in Isaiah 55:11, "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." I trust that promise. Don't you?

Music is a big part of our family's life. Of course the Holy Scripture is my ultimate source of comfort in times like these, but I do hear music that brings comfort also and I want to share these words. The Pastor read a poem today that is along the same lines of a song I sang at my father-in-law's funeral a few years ago. The chorus to that song says,

But just think of stepping on shore
and finding it Heaven
Of taking a hand,
and finding it God's
Of breathing new air,
and finding it celestial,
Of waking up in GLORY,
and finding it home.

Psalm 116:15 "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints."


Bertha Wilkie Morrow is finally home.
September 7, 1927 - October 15, 2007

Labels: ,