Thimble Thoughts: Whistle While You Work

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Whistle While You Work

I was standing inside the shower cleaning the shower doors while my boys were in there talking to me about different things. Harrison started a conversation that, fortunately, made me feel good instead of feeling like a bad example. However, it did get me to thinking.

"Mom, why are you always cleaning?"

"Because I have to. If I don't, the house will be dirty all the time."

"Do you like cleaning?

"Nope."

"Then why do you do it?"

"Because there are things in life that need to be accomplished whether we like to do it or not."

Then he asked a question that made my heart smile, "If you don't like cleaning, why are you always happy when you do it?"

Ahhh, an opportunity for a Bible lesson! "Because the Bible says, '...for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.' We always have a choice in our attitude. We can pout and grump while doing something we don't want to do, or we can be like the seven dwarfs and whistle while we work."

Of course, we always have a choice in our attitude no matter what circumstances we may be in. We can choose to be miserable or choose to be happy in the Lord.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you that I am NOT always whistling when cleaning. As a matter of fact, there have been many moments when I've felt like throwing everyone out of the house or just packing up and leaving in hopes that when I return, the house will be miraculously clean. LOL But that conversation got me thinking about my attitude as a housewife and the attitude my children see in me. The attitude my husband sees in me. Happily doing a job I really don't like to do, but doing it to the glory of God.

Labels: