Thimble Thoughts: Boy! Am I Glad THAT'S Over!!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Boy! Am I Glad THAT'S Over!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. The day has nearly come to a close and I am now breathing a little easier.

My mother, whom I believe to be one of the best cooks in the south, was unable to cook this Thanksgiving because of her knee surgery which left it up to me this year. I have never cooked a Thanksgiving dinner for that many people before. As for mom, she is recuperating nicely with the exception of some swelling. I've had to fuss at her a little bit these last couple of days, but after her leg swelled terribly yesterday she promised to stay off of it and so she has. It is still slightly swollen, but looks so much better than yesterday. I'm thankful for that.

When I said I was glad THAT'S over, I was referring to the cooking. LOL I don't mind cooking, but my nerves have been shot the last couple of days worrying about everything turning out to each person's liking.

Mom and I started the day watching a Christmas movie together. Then daddy fixed the traditional Thanksgiving breakfast.........milkshakes. Yes, I know. A very unusual breakfast but it is a tradition. And one tradition my children look forward to as I did growing up.

We spent the better part of the day in the kitchen together while I prepared dinner, laughing and talking. It was fun. I had accomplished a great deal of preperation yesterday so there really wasn't too much to do today.

The menu? Let's see:
Turkey
dressing and stuffing
green beans
sweet potato casserole
veg-all casserole
mashed potatoes
corn on the cob
deviled eggs
crock pot mac and cheese
yeast rolls
gravy
My Brother brought:
smoked Boston Butt roast
congealed salad
dressing
banana bread muffins (which were the perfect size, btw if any of you do banana bread)
And daddy baked two pies, pumpkin and apple

Everything turned out very flavorful and I sure didn't hear any complaints.

Bruce was off today and it was so good to have him home. He has to work tomorrow, but will be off Saturday. So I'm looking forward to spending a complete day with just him and the kids as a family. He left mom's a little early to go see his mother and get me a newspaper for tomorrow. I'll go through the circulars mapping out my route for the morning. I'm one of those stupid people that get up at 3:00 AM to stand in the cold for two hours waiting for a door to open so I MIGHT get what I'm there for. And if I do get it, I'll be happy talking to strangers in a line of seventy-five people that won't move but every eight minutes or more. LOL Wow! I've almost talked myself out of it..............NAH! I'm there. I love the rush I get on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Do y'all go shopping that day too?

I hope you all had a very Happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends. I did.

Labels: , ,