Thimble Thoughts: A Repeat Post...

Monday, October 30, 2006

A Repeat Post...

This is one of my favorite poems that I posted a few months ago. I must however quote a Scripture passage to go along with it. Yes, I choose to live my life as a wife and homeschooling Mother....but the reason I chose this way of life is because of this scripture passage. My husband and I believe that this is God's plan for man and wife. Notice, I did not say woman. I said WIFE. We are women, but when we marry, we take on a whole other role in life, which is the wife, and this is what God's Word says...

Titus 2:1, 3-5 "But speak thou the things which become SOUND DOCTRINE: The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers AT home, good, OBEDIENT TO THEIR OWN HUSBANDS, THAT THE WORD OF GOD BE NOT BLASPHEMED."

I'm free THE MOVEMENT says,
I can be whatever I want to be.
I don't have to spend my life mopping up spilled milk,
getting out ring-around-the-collar,
hunting for lost cufflinks,
matching up socks - or even scratching somebody's back.

I can write the great American novel or hawk my macrame plant holders at craft festivals(wearing a gypsy scarf on my head and dirty tennis shoes on my feet - or maybe no shoes at all.)I can be a lady executive and try not to worry about whetherI took the roast out of the freezer.(THE MOVEMENT wouldn't like that!)
Or I could run for Congress -(That can't be much harder than presiding over the PTA or figuring out my own income tax. Or brilliantly coordinating my returnable pop bottles and newspaper coupons to buy 53 dollars worth of groceries with only 42 dollars and 28 cents.)

So I'm free, am I? Then I choose...I choose the "promise to obey" part of the marriage vows,the nose-wiping of a two-year-old,the bargainings with my teenagers to use -the car, the computer, the telephone, the bathroom. I choose the endless precession of bag lunches, peanut buter sandwiches, dirty dog dishes, potato chip crumbs, and yesterday's newspaper. I choose the warm curve of his back on a cold night, the precarious pleasure of an empty bank account when all the bills are paid, the promises of European tours when the children finish college. I choose to make his toast (dark) and his eggs (easy over). I choose to listen for his car turn in the drive. I choose to nudge him when he snores. No matter what THE MOVEMENT says: I choose him!-Jessie Rice Sandberg

Labels: ,