Thimble Thoughts: My Sad Saturday

Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Sad Saturday

As most of you probably already know, UNC lost their football game to Clemson Saturday afternoon. It was so HORRIBLE! Before the end of the first quarter, Clemson had already scored 35 points. By the third quarter, Bruce and I were ready to catch a cab home, allowing Brother Sam and Sis Anna to enjoy their gleeful ride back to the house alone. But we hung in there for the final score of 52 to 7. Yes, SEVEN! I couldn't believe the way Carolina was playing. Our first thought was of what sort of strategy Carolina had in mind. Our second thought was that Clemson had hired a bunch of little league players to play against them, and it was all a farce. But the truth was, Carolina just could not hold the ball. As a matter of fact, they could not have held the ball if it had been glued to their hands!!! There was alot of energy brought to the field by Clemson. Mainly because the 1981 National champions were there for a 25 year thingy. You know, the "younger tigers" needed to prove to the "older tigers" that they could play some good ball. And boy, did they show 'em!

The night before, we were in Elizabethton, TN, and it was wonderful. We had safe travels up, the service was great, the church fed us good, we had safe travels and good fellowship back and was home in bed by 1:30.

At 5:30, my alarm went off so that I could get up and make my shirt. I was energized after I painted my shirt, but then it all went down hill from there.

On our way to TN, I felt like I might be coming down with a head cold. By Saturday morning, it was evident that I was correct. My dear hubby stopped at a convenient store on the way to Brother Sam and Sis Anna's home and bought me some "non-drowsy" Tylenol cold medicine. I hadn't had anything to eat for breakfast and was afraid I would get an upset stomach so Bruce bought me a chocolate covered creme filled Krispy Kreme doughnut. Remember, we were at a convenient store. No egg and cheese biscuits in sight. We ate our doughnut and as I was getting rid of the trash, I noticed a chocolate smudge on my shirt. :*( MY T-SHIRT!!! Boo Hoo. So, we made it to Brother Sam and Sis Anna's home, and by the time we were ready to leave, I was feeling the medicine kick in. Non-drowsy, my foot! I felt spaced out. I kept telling myself I was going to have a good time no matter what. And that I could feel a whole lot worse. And that THIS was going to be a GOOD day!

Brother Sam and Sis Anna had a feast packed in the back of their car. Barbecue and buns, slaw, chips, crackers with dip, grapes and carrots, cookies and brownies and cold drinks and the most delicious baked beans I've ever eaten. This was the first time Bruce and I had ever tailgated. It was a lot of fun. However, the first bite of beans I took dribbled off my spoon and onto my SHIRT! I was so embarassed. But again, I told myself it's no big deal. And of course Sis Anna was so sweet to say it didn't look bad, when we both knew that brown bean juice and chocolate on a white shirt never looks good.

After lunch, we talked a bit, cleaned up, and began our walk to the stadium. I had on new shoes that rubbed the back of my ankles and by the time we got to the stadium, my ankles were hurting and bleeding. SO! My head felt like it was swelling from all the mucus that was building up, I was drugged from the medicine, my newly painted T-shirt was dirty, and my ankles were bleeding. Then the game began............and my team lost.

As we left the stadium, every step back to the car was more painful than the last. But we finally did make it back to the car and I was ever so happy to get a handful of ice and just crunch my blues away. For those of you that know me well, you know that I love ice! And it was so nice and calming to me just to have a handful of it.

After leaving the game, we stopped off to see Brother Sam and Sis Anna's daughter, Katie, at her apartment. She was there with her friends trying to get things ready for her wedding. Which is several months away, but she wants to get as much done now as she can so she's not too stressed out as the big day approaches. She's leaving on a business trip Monday and her parents wanted to see her before she left. So we had a nice little visit. She and her friends came out to the car for a brownie and then we left to head back home.

As we pulled out of Brother Sam and Sis Anna's driveway, my dear hubby assured me that when we got home, he would take the boys to get us something to eat and I could relax. And relax I did. I took a shower, lit a candle, and curled up on the couch in the dark. It was wonderful. As I laid there, I thought about the events of the day and couldn't help but burst into laughter. The more I thought about it, the harder I laughed. I finally calmed down and Bruce arrived with stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut and a gallon of orange juice.

I know I probably made my day sound sad and pitiful, but the fellowship we had with Brother Sam and Sis Anna made all the bad stuff not even matter. We did have a very good time with them and are very thankful to have them as our friends.

Thank you, Brother Sam and thank you, Sis Anna, for a day I know I'll never forget.
Sis Anna, Brother Sam, and my hubby, Bruce
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just outside of Death Valley
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Warming up
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The band
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Honor Guard
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here come the Tigers
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Let the games begin!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Carolina making their ONLY field goal of the day
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Final score, 52 to 7
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Clemson fans crowd the players
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Labels: , ,