Thimble Thoughts: Mark Them. Avoid Them!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Mark Them. Avoid Them!

In recent months and even a little further back, we have had some wolves in the church that have stirred up a lot of trouble, lies, and heartache. When these times come to mind, I find myself asking, "Lord, why do these people do these things? WHY??" Well, I want to draw attention to Today's Bible Verse located in my sidebar. If you read this post after the 30th of June, then you'll miss it. But today's verse is, "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple." Romans 16:17-18.

OK, now I know this is referring to people who come into the church and try to teach something other than what we know as to be the TRUTH according to scripture. We've actually had that happen at our church, as well, with a Calvanist. Thankfully that was taken care of before we joined. But this verse sort of settled it all for me concerning ANYONE causing strife in the fellowship of the believers.

First of all, we're to mark them. Now, that doesn't mean we're to take a paintball gun and shoot them with yellow or orange paintballs, no matter how good that might make us feel. And when I see my Pastor carrying the burden of these wolves, I want to shoot them with SOMETHING! But alas, that is not what it means. It simply means that we are to mark them in our heads and minds, to know what they are. If you do mark someone with a paintball gun, don't bring me into it. Thanks!

Second of all, we're to avoid them. You can be cordial to them, but you don't have to yoke up with them. Be sure to avoid conversation with them for the mere purpose of not letting Satan use them to fill our head with lies, worry, and doubt. I've had this happen to me in the past and it's not a wonderful, joy-filled feeling. And let me just say, that if you find yourself in a situation where someone is telling you things that may cause a disruption in the church, don't run to someone else in the church and ask what you should do. Go straight to your Pastor. How can he lead his sheep if he doesn't know what's going on in the pasture? God has placed him as the shepherd over that particular flock and he should always be aware of what is going on so that he can have opportunity to deal with it before it gets out of hand. Is there anyone out there in the ministry that would disagree with that? Mainly those in pastoral or pastor's wife positons?

The last part of that verse really put it all in perspective for me. I told you that I ask the Lord why these people do such things. Well, it's because they're not serving the Lord. They're serving themselves. And they use their words and "...fair speeches to deceive the hearts of the simple." That word simple there, means trusting. People who trust the deceivers, thinking them to be something they are not.

So! Mark them and avoid them. When you do these two things, you'll be less likely to fall for the good words and fair speeches.

That's what I got out of this verse today. Do you have something to add?

Labels: