Thimble Thoughts: A Soldier...by Tammy Carter

Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Soldier...by Tammy Carter

Tammy Carter, a lady in our church and the wife of our Sunday School teacher, wrote a poem for her Patch Class to give to the veterans in our church. I have asked her permission to post the poem here in honor of our veterans. If you have someone in your life that was or is a veteran, please leave their name in the comments section of this post.

A Soldier
You were a young man sent far away,
While family and friends were told to pray,
I know you missed some precious times,
Like birthdays, babies, or wedding chimes
Harrison J. Birt 1920 - 1992

You went to a place you had never before been,
To fight a war with other brave men.
You had no way of knowing your fate,
You followed orders without debate.
Clyde Morrow 1935 - 2002 US Navy

Dodging bullets and seeing men die,
Watching as the enemy drew nigh.
Willing to give your own life if need be,
For God and our freedom in this country.
Larry Birt Sr. 1945 - US Air Force
I have no way of knowing what you saw,
What you heard, and who you fought.
But this I know you did for me,
To keep America proud and free.
Bruce Morrow 1969 - US Air Force
Some have forgotten the sacrifice you made.
While others with their life, the price they paid.
Thank you for the time you fought
With no reward my freedom bought.
John Birt, 1968 - U S Navy
There is a reason God didn't let you die.
And I know that reason and this is why...
You were left here to be an example to me,
A child who wants this country to be free.
Larry Birt Jr. 1966-2004 US Army
I may proudly be a soldier someday,
Or touch a life in some other way.
But I know one day I hope to be
Just like you, a hero to a child like me.
~Tammy Carter

Labels: