Thimble Thoughts: New Recipes and OOPS! What Was I Playing?

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

New Recipes and OOPS! What Was I Playing?

There's a couple of new recipes at Blogger's Recipes. Chicken Under a Brick and Strawberry Pie. Check 'em out!

If you've seen the post below you know at least one thing I did yesterday. While I was sitting in the salon chair the phone rang. It was Mrs. Janet. Now, normally if she calls and asks what my schedule is for the day, it's usually because she wants to do lunch. Not this time! She actually wanted to know if I'd play the piano for a funeral of a man in our church that had passed away this week.

My initial thought, after I started breathing again, was Why did I answer that phone call!? But then I realized that there was a grieving family and a piano player was needed. Considering the fact that I'm constantly telling Hannah the Lord may use her piano playing in the future for times such as this, and since I wasn't playing for anyone singing oh mercy I told Mrs. Janet I'd be there. So! While Missy was busy rolling my hair and we chatted about this and that and the other, I couldn't help but think of what I would play. I rushed home, dressed appropriately, and then sat down at my piano. Do you have any idea the last time I sat down at my piano? I flipped through the song book, although I don't know why. I only play in C and by ear. Reading music is a foreign language to me. SERIOUSLY. I thought about Mrs. Anna...OH! Mrs. Anna, where is she?? She plays lovely.

After gathering about ten songs to play I slipped on my shoes and headed for the church. All the while feeling nauseated at the thought of playing in front of all those poor people grieving for their husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, uncle, cousin, etc...you get the idea. I did not want to be a distraction to them during this time.

There was one point during my playing where I started looking around shouldn't have done that and ended up fusing two songs together...Tis So Sweet and In The Garden. How in the world that happened, I don't know. I just lost track, I guess. I stumbled through the keys trying to figure out which song I was originally playing. I still haven't figured that out, by the way. I ended with....something....and MOVED ON! It's already funny today, but yesterday...not so much. I don't know if anyone noticed or not. They didn't say if they did.

I moved from the piano to the front and closest pew for the service. Brother Boone was doing his best to comfort the family and offer words of encouragement But it was very difficult, I'm sure, under the circumstances. In the back of the church sat a young mother with her infant and toddler. The infant was crying...the toddler was talking and banging the pew...the mother was SHHHHHHHHHHHHing and whispering to them if you can call it that to SHUT UP! I didn't turn around, but I could see the faces of others and decided I'd be the one to help this mother with her children. So I got up, walked to the back of the church where I met Mrs. Dockery, who had the same idea I had. Together we took the baby to the nursery. I took her from her car seat and held her for a moment. She was so beautiful. She just wanted to be picked up and talked to. Then I handed her to Mrs. Dockery who was happy to love on her and rock her while I stepped back into the service. I stood in the back, so not to interrupt the service...again...and when Pastor Goodman said, "Let's pray" I took that as my cue to rush back to the piano.

All in all, it wasn't so bad. It's just funny how the Lord will put us in situations and we are totally clueless! But there's one thing I've learned from these situations.....

Just go with it!

Labels: ,