Thimble Thoughts: Have You Given It Up?

Friday, December 28, 2007

Have You Given It Up?




"But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee." Psalm 4:11

This verse was sitting out at my parent's computer desk, highlighted in pink this morning and it got me thinking so here's your post for today.

I was recently told that the Lord shines through our family. That was a blessing and an encouragment to me. However, lest I lead you astray, let me be the first to say that I have had my share of trials and did not take them very well. I did not put my trust in the Lord. And I was certainly not joyful. Case in point, when my brother killed himself a few years ago. I remember watching my mother stand up in church that Sunday morning, just one day after she was told her son was dead, with her hands raised in the air, giving praise to the Lord and thinking to myself, "How can she praise Him?" I was filled with a lot of anger at Larry and at others. Not to mention the hurt and pain I was feeling from the loss. And I was just his sister...not his mother. I suppose I could go into great detail about this tragedy, but it would really take away from the post and what I intended to convey today.

2007 is almost gone and as I look back over the year I see where God was in the midst of every one of our trials. At the beginning of the year it was easy for me to let go of every circumstance and place them into the hands of my Heavenly Father, knowing and believing all along that He would take care of it all. And He certainly did. Sometimes through a song or sermon. Other times through God's people.

But I failed Him at times when I would allow other circumstances to cause me to be depressed. He did not take his joy away from me. I gave it up. The verse above simply says, "But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice." The times I was depressed and feeling less than joyful are the times I was not trusting Him.

"...let them ever shout for joy because thou defendest them..." This doesn't say "let them ever shout for joy WHEN thou defendest them." We should be shouting for joy because we are the child of an almighty God and He will defend us from our enemies and from our trials before we even ask it of Him.

"...let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee." I love the name of Jesus. What other name is there? It is when we take our focus off of Him and stop serving Him that we have given up our joy. Are you filled with joy at the mere mention of His name? Or have you given up your joy because of circumstances in your life that you can not control yourself?

Let it go. Give it to God. He will, once again, give you joy.