Thimble Thoughts: Proverbs 4:27

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Proverbs 4:27

When I had originally posted this I was under the impression that Pastor McEntire wrote the post at Fully Persuaded Baptist. However, he kindly brought it to my attention that it was his lovely wife, Sis Michele that was the author of that post. Now aren't my cheeks red! I don't know why I didn't think to look at the bottom of the post. It's plain as day as to which one of them wrote it. Anyway........

I was reading Fully Persuaded Baptist and Sis Michele, had quoted verse 27 from Proverbs chapter 4, "Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil."

Sis Michele's thoughts were on how we do things regardless of the fact that we're going to stumble in the process. And by the way, if you've never read Fully Persuaded Baptist, it's full of Biblical truths from Pastor McEntire and his wife, Michele, who on occassion, will pen a post. And I do love hearing from her!

But when I read this verse, I couldn't help but think of that first part, "Turn not to the right hand, nor to the left:...." If we're not turning to the right, and we're not turning to the left, then we must be walking straight! Keeping our eyes focused on what is ahead of us. There's a warning in this verse to remove our foot from evil. God expects us to walk straight.

One of the best illustrations I ever heard is when someone was teaching on the dove and how a dove can only look at what is directly in front of them. To see what is to the left or to the right, they must turn their head. We need the eyes of the dove to keep our focus on Christ and where He is leading us.

I sort of got tickled too, laughing at us Christians, because with all the ADHD kids being treated, which in my opinion is overtreatment but that's another subject I do not wish to debate at this time *grin* they are treated because "they can't stay focused." Some of us Christians are ADHD Christians, not being able to focus on our Leader. The prescription? Just stay focused!! How? By steeping ourselves in the WORD and in prayer.

Labels: