Thimble Thoughts: Missin' My Church!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Missin' My Church!

It's not often I miss church, but today I'm home with two very sick children. They were both troopers this morning, getting up when they were supposed to, but I sent them both back to bed. Hannah, because she was hacking and coughing and snorting and snotting over the trash can. Isn't that a lovely picture? And Harrison because he was running a low grade fever with cough and congestion.

My children have been fighting with this cold virus or their allergies for a couple of weeks now. Justin missed last Sunday morning because of pink eye brought on by his allergies. When we came home from church, Bruce took him to the doctor. The last several times they've needed to go to a doctor, it's been on a Saturday or Sunday. I'm thankful our Pediatrician's office is open on weekends. I always get the feeling the office staff is judging me, though, seeing that I AM a homeschool mother and can bring my children at any time during the week. You know how that goes. But to be perfectly honest, peeps, I don't take my kids to the doctor at the first sign of sniffles. I'll treat them at home first and then if it persists or worsens, we'll go. Anywho, we're home today with no plans of going to the doctor.
Where was I going with all of this? Oh yeah, just to say I'm home with them today and missin' my church!! Bruce will most likely be home with them tonight if they're not feeling any better.

Speaking of Bruce, he's been suffering with back issues going on two weeks now. He's pulled a muscle or something in his very lower back. Bless his heart, he stiffens up and finds it difficult to move after resting for any period of time. But he doesn't complain....much....and he's like the Energizer bunny, he just keeps going and going and going....

I worked in bus ministry yesterday. I haven't been down there in a while and it was fun. I worked in the kitchen and ran an errand with Kelly T for Mrs. Janet. We bought several things for the bus ministry and then Kelly had gone back into the store for more spaghetti sauce to make some meals for people in our church who have had surgery recently. Somehow we both ended up losing our receipts that Mrs. Janet needs for keeping the books. I don't know how. At least four of the regular bus workers were out for different reasons, and our blue and white bus broke down. But praise the Lord, several children were saved. The devil likes to throw in chaos when he thinks he might lose a soul to Christ. Let's see, I believe the score at bus ministry yesterday was

I really hate missing church. It just doesn't feel right knowing it's Sunday and I'm not in my place to serve and worship. Do you feel that way? I've never understood how people can let other things get in the way of going to the Lord's house. They use their children as an excuse, or family get-togethers, or work, or whatever. It's always something. I mean I know there are rare instances when things happen beyond our control, but when you're out of church as much as you're in church, or even out more than you're in, it's time to examine and figure out what it is in your life that is keeping you from desiring to be in God's house. Trust me, I know it's hard. What worries me are the Christians out there who know where they should be and want to be where they should be, but allow little things to get in the way. And you know, as long as the devil knows what will keep them out, he will continue to throw those things at them. You just have to get up and go! Don't worry about the kids having sniffles, or if your mama's gonna be mad that you're late for dinner because your church services let out later than other's. Don't worry about that over time because the car payment is due. God will take care of it! He is always faithful to us, but He is even more faithful when we put our trust in Him to take care of the little things. They seem big to us, but they're very small to Him. I couldn't help but think of this old song I heard YEARS ago:
"Excuses"
By the Kingsmen Quartet
Excuses, excuses, you'll hear them every day.
And the Devil he'll supply them, if the church you stay away.
When people come to know the Lord, the Devil always loses
So to keep them folks away from church, he offers them excuses.
In the summer it's too hot. And, in the winter, it's too cold.
In the spring time when the weather's just right, you find some place else to go.
Well, it's up to the mountains or down to the beach or to visit some old friend.
Or, to just stay home and kinda relax and hope that some of the kin folks will start dropping in.
Well, the church benches are too hard. And, that choir sings way too loud. Boy, you know how nervous you get when you're sitting in a great big crowd.

The doctor told you, "Now, you better watch them crowds. They'll set you back."
But, you go to that old ball game because you say "it helps you to relax."
Well, a headache Sunday morning and a backache Sunday night.
But by worktime Monday morning, you're feeling quite alright.
While one of the children has a cold, "Pneumonia, do you suppose?"
Why the whole family had to stay home, just to blow that poor kid's nose.
Excuses, excuses, you'll hear them every day.
And the Devil he'll supply them if the church you stay away.
When people come to know the Lord, the Devil always loses
So to keep them folks away from church, he offers them excuses.
Well, the preacher he's too young. And, maybe he's too old.
The sermons they're not hard enough. And, maybe they're too bold.
His voice is much too quiet-like. Sometimes he gets too loud.
He needs to have more dignity. Or, else he's way too proud.
Well, the sermons they're too long. And, maybe they're too short.
He ought to preach the word with dignity instead of "stomp and snort."
Well, that preacher we've got must be "the world's most stuck up man."
Well, one of the lady's told me the other day, "Well, he didn't even shake my hand."
Excuses, excuses, you'll hear them every day.
And the Devil he'll supply them if the church you stay away.
When people come to know the Lord, the Devil always loses
So to keep them folks away from church, he offers them excuses.

Labels: , , ,