Thimble Thoughts: Caution!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Caution!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I gave the children off school last week for spring break. I'm glad too, because we had a busy weekend. It actually began Wednesday when we got up anticipating the arrival of my cousin, Angela, whom I have not seen in twenty-two years!! She lives in Alaska, flying to Virginia to see her folks. She called and asked, if her daddy dropped her off for the night, could Bruce and I take her to the airport Thursday morning. Well, YEAH! I was so excited about her and her youngest daughter coming. I had never met Allison and we were all thrilled they were coming.

This is me with my Uncle Eugene, Angela's daddy. It was great seeing him and he hasn't changed one bit. I wish Aunt Margie could have joined them on their trip, but she had to work.

I promise there won't be a lot of writing with this post because of all the pictures, but I MUST tell you this story....I hopped in the car to pick up a few drinks and snacks for their visit and just as I pulled away from my driveway, I saw Uncle Gene's car pass. So I turned around and went back. Oh, it was so good to see them. I couldn't wait to throw my arms around them and tell them I loved them and how happy I was to see them. They came inside and visited for about 20 minutes when Uncle Gene had to get back on the road. See, he lives four to five hours away in Virginia, so it was going to be late before he got home. We said our good-byes and waved as he drove off. Angela and the kids and I came back inside. The kids went to play in their rooms with Allison. Angela and I decided we would go to the store together to pick up those drinks and snacks. As she says, it was a God-thing, that we decided to do that because Uncle Gene was five minutes ahead of us with no cell phone when she realized her wallet was in his car. And in that wallet was all the ID she and Allison needed to board the plane back to Alaska. "Can we catch him" she asked. My first thought was, she has no idea she's talking to the girl who was born with a brick tied to her foot. "Oh yeah, we can catch him!" So out the door we went. Doing 85 miles an hour and watching our backs for blue lights and sirens as we passed every exit ramp, zig and zagging between cars until we finally caught up with him about thirty minutes up the road. For those of you who know the area where we live, we actually caught up with him at the Lowell McAdenville exit. I felt like I was driving for NASCAR! We were just happy we caught up with him and, sure 'nuff, there was her wallet, safely tucked under the front seat where she left it. We said goodbye again, stopped at the store, and back to the house for a little visit before heading to church, where she played the piano for my church family. They loved it! Several have commented to me about it since. We had a wonderful visit. Mom and dad stopped by after church and my brother came for a couple of hours. It was great! I do hope we can do it again sometime. My home will always welcome her. Life is always an adventure....especially if my cousin is involved!

Of all the times for the batteries in my camera to go dead, it would be when my cousin comes to town. Can you believe that? But I was able to get a couple of pics at the airport the next morning. I was so sad because I haven't been to the airport in forever and so it was literally drop them off at the terminal and leave. No going inside for long goodbyes. It just ended so abruptly. That saddened me, but I was so thankful for the time I had with Angela and Allison.
Angela, I've missed you ever since we said goodbye and Allison, you are wonderful! Hannah misses you too!

Me and Angela

Wednesday night before church, the younger Patch children had their Eggstravaganza at the fellowship building. While we waited for the children to arrive, Mrs. Tammy sang songs with the ones already there.



No, she and Cheyenne are not teaching line dancing...haha...they're singing Father Abraham.

Mrs. Janet and Jordan prepared the drinks while we waited for the pizza to arrive.

It was raining really hard so there were no eggs outside. But I did find some inside!




But before they were turned loose to hunt eggs in all the rooms, they ate their pizza.


THEN the egg-frenzy began.


Sam was a little confused when he saw the colorful balls in the ball pit. A couple of them ended up in his basket. hehe






Everyone was having a grand time, especially when Mrs. Janet started passing out goodie bags filled with all kinds of Easter surprises.




Not to mention the "special eggs" that guaranteed you a prize from the prize table!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When we dropped Angela and Allison off at the airport Thursday morning, I cleaned mom's house and came home to get ready to go out of town. Bruce was off for Good Friday, so he decided we were hittin' the road. He's not very spontaneous, so this was a big deal. We decided we would head up to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I didn't realize that Hannah and Harrison had never been. So then I got excited for them.

Our first stop Friday morning was to McDonald's for a breakfast biscuit.


And then we were on the road!

I always enjoy looking at the mountains when we travel that way.

Eventually, we made it to Tennessee...


...making our way to Gatlinburg...


...and into Pigeon Forge.



Our hotel was just inside Pigeon Forge. Bruce checked us into our room and we relaxed a little bit before heading to eat lunch at Cracker Barrell.

After lunch, we took the kids up the mountain on the sky lift. Harrison was scared to death but then decided that it wasn't so bad and he liked it.




Justin making it to the top....


Bruce and Hannah making it to the top.

We enjoyed the view from the top of the mountain and checked out the gift shop. Hannah thought this bear in the outhouse was funny. She didn't expect that when she opened the little door.

We also enjoyed an ice cream while taking in the view. This is something Bruce MUST do when we reach the top.




Me and Justin

Isn't that pretty?

Harrison loved it up there.

On our way back down!

Harrison decided it would be all right to ride with his big brother down the mountain. lol


Hannah and I enjoyed our little ride down and talked and giggled the whole way.


The boys waiting for us to get off.


We stopped there at Ripley's Believe It Or Not and Justin tried to stop the giant marble ball from spinning....yeah, like that'll happen!


Then we took the kids to the "Bud" Ogle farm

Justin playing King of the Mountain



Seeing the old farm house






The kids in front of the barn.

Me and Bruce

In the loft of the barn


We walked the Nature Trail too and that was a great time for me, just being with the family enjoying the walk and the talks and the many laughs. I have a crazy family!


Bruce was acting like he was going to overturn the little bridge while the kids were walking across.


Harrison found this water hole and what little boy doesn't like to poke a stick in a water hole?

I loved the way the sun light lit up the trees in different areas.

Harrison

Bruce

Hannah


Justin

Me

I'll let you decide what happened here!


Justin was climbing up on this old tree. I kept waiting for him to fall through a rotting spot.


Fun, fun, hikin'!



Time for a family pic! Aren't timers great?

Justin playing with a stick gun....do they ever grow up?


We found our way to the old water mill.


Bruce enjoyed a cool drink from the mountain stream...

...while Justin took in the peacefulness of it.


Hannah decided to dip her feet in the water, but didn't stay long. It was very cold!

Nonetheless, Harrison decided to join her.


While they played in the creek, Justin hid Harrison's shoes...

...and socks. Isn't he mean? Of course, I suppose it was mean of all of us to pretend we saw his shoes floating down the creek.

After enjoying the water, we hit the trail again, enjoying the beauty of the woods.



We saw a glimpse of spring too.

And then finally, the trail was over and we were back where we started.


Our next stop was here at the Smoky Mountain Speedpark

We enjoyed racing each other around the track on go-karts


Harrison enjoyed riding with me and said I drive great since we passed everybody. But he got to drive a go-kart too on the kid's track. He loved that!

Justin and Hannah rode the giant swing. That was hilarious. There was no shoulder harness, just that little bar between their legs and it swung them 150 feet in the air. We bought the video of them riding it and it is so funny. Justin was loving it and Hannah was screaming. Funny stuff!


We made it back to the hotel just in time for the kids to get about 30 minutes of swim time in before the pool closed.


While the kids swam, Bruce picked up supper.

I didn't swim, but I did enjoy the jacuzzi later that night. My ankle sure did love that!

It was a fun filled, packed day and we all slept like logs that night. The next morning, we checked out and had breakfast at the Log Cabin Pancake House.

We usually never go out of town without playing a round of mini golf. This time was no different. We played at the Smoky Mountain Fantasy Golf. Bruce thought it would be fun to spar a little competition in the kids so he told them whoever won the tournament would receive $20. Needless to say, it became a little competitive out there!


Harrison was thrilled to make the first hole in one. Actually, I believe he was the ONLY hole in one.



Bruce can putt from anywhere!


After the game, we met outside the castle and tallied up the scores. Who would win? Well, only after Bruce and then me, Justin came in first, Harrison second, and Hannah third. Justin was happy to know the $20 bucks was going in his pocket. Harrison and Hannah were bummed. But what they didn't know....

...was that Bruce had planned all along to give them each $20. Needless to say, they were all happy to find this out.

And since they all had money and we were there at the giant flea market, yeah, you guessed it! We just had to go! We had a fun time in there and we all bought something...except Justin. He held on to his $$$.

We left the flea market and headed back home.





We had a wonderful time just being together and enjoying what the mountains had to offer us for the weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday morning, I got up and made Easter baskets for my kids, then woke Hannah and Harrison up to dye eggs while I ironed shirts and ties.



When we got to church, I stopped in to my dad's Sunday school class to see his shirt and tie he was wearing. I walked out hankering a bite of orange sherbert. HA!


My friend, Amy

SIGMA class...not all of them were there yet.

Mom and Bruce. Doesn't she look great in yellow??

Mom and me

After Sunday school, I came downstairs and my daddy had made me an Easter basket and bought me this big pink bunny. Isn't he cute? And he's so soft!


Before church began, it was time for the Easter parade. This is where all the children in the church walk across the platform so we can all see how pretty and handsome they are for Easter morning. Our first Easter here I thought this was crazy, but I have to admit it's a lot of fun seeing all the children and watching their reactions to us watching them. So funny. I had to post these because I have mamas that read my blog and they're gonna want to see their children.





















That's Harrison in the silk shirt. Hannah and I couldn't talk him into a Carolina blue and white pinstriped suit, but he picked out that silk shirt. He loved it. And so did everybody else.







Hannah and Cassie



Mark, Evan, Justin, Nathan, Spencer, Jeremy, and Jacob

The children walked across the platform, but Brother Clifford just had to walk too. You can't get a suit on this man for nothin', but don't he clean up nice?

I didn't get my picture of mom and dad together Easter morning, but I got one of them before church started Sunday night.

I also got Kellie coming out of choir...ain't she purty?

And then I couldn't get a picture of Gary to save my life Sunday morning. He was in the SIGMA group, but got cut out and then when they walked, I think he was standing behind someone. So I got this one Sunday night.

Bruce wanted a picture of him and his little Hannah but Brother Daniel just had to get in there too.

We alternate holidays between our parents and this year, we were at Marie's. We spent the day eating, laughing, eating, watching basketball, eating, napping....did I mention eating?


Our fam!

Marie and Bruce...good thing he wore that Carolina blue shirt, huh? They won their game!! Go Tar Heels!

And I was pleasantly surprised when Mrs. O'Malley handed me a gift bag with this little jewel tucked inside. You place it in a pot of whatever you're cooking and your pot won't boil over! If anyone could ever use one of these, it's me! Brother O' promised me one a while back and I forgot about it so when I saw it, it was like Christmas!
Thank you, O' Family, for remembering me!


And last, but certainly not least, we were honored to have a group from Ripley Tabernacle Baptist Church in Ripley, West Virginia, visit us for the night. They were stopping by on their way to Pensecola Christian college in Florida for the older ones to check out the school there. Their Pastor is Brother Mark Leonard. He was our Youth Pastor before the Lord called him away to Indiana to be an Associate Pastor and then to West Virginia where he is the Pastor there. He and his wife, Amy, are greatly missed!! Love you guys!

Labels: , ,