Thimble Thoughts: It Is Natural To Pray

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It Is Natural To Pray

Amanda's mother is still in the hospital and had a pretty bad seizure yesterday. They decided to do a CT on her this morning. We haven't heard back from them on that yet, but Amanda and her sister decided to stay with their mother at the hospital last night. They got about an hour and a half of sleep, but Amanda said she wouldn't trade that time for anything in the world. They just had a slumber party together. Since she stayed there and her husband had to be at work early this morning, I kept the girls for her. If Bruce is anywhere in the house, Carissa will be wanting to be with him. So when he's on the couch, she's happiest snuggled up next to him.


Celine is happy all the time. She was so excited to find out she was spending the night. She told Kelly Turner, from church, "Pray for my mommy, her eyes are so red."


T-R-O-U-B-L-E


Now tell me, is this a peaceful picture or what? Like I said, she's happiest snuggled up next to Brother Bruce.


Last night's revival service with Brother Beckum was on why it is natural for a Christian to pray. So here are those notes.
1. Galatians 4:6 "And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father."
It is natural for a Christian to pray because the Holy Ghost dwells within. If you don't have a desire to pray, the Holy Spirit does not live in you, and if the Holy Spirit is not in you, you are not saved. Romans 8:26 "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." You might say you don't pray because you don't know how. But the Spirit helps our infirmities. When we don't know what to pray, He does.
2. Luke 9:23 "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." Not yearly, monthly, or weekly. But daily. It's natural for a Christian to pray because we follow God. We need to swallow our pride and deny ourselves. We need to repent and PRAY! I John 2:6 "He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." Jesus preached. Jesus was a soul winner. Jesus was a teacher. But Jesus also prayed. If we're going to walk with Him, we must pray like Him.
I John 2:4 "He that saith, I know him and keepth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." We are commanded to pray. If you're not praying, you're not keeping His commandments. If you're not keeping His commandments, you're a liar. John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" The church is hearing His voice, but we're not following it. If you're not following it, you're in rebellion. There are goats in the sheepfold. Are you a stubborn goat or a humble sheep? Are you following Christ in prayer? When we follow Him, we want Him to teach us to pray. Hebrews 7:25 "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them." Christ lives to pray for us. He prays for us continually.
3. It's natural to pray because we love the Lord. John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments." You say you love God, but do you really? John 14:21 "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me, and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him and will manifest myself to him." If you don't keep the commandments, you don't love God. Are you keeping the commandments or just bringing them to church? Where in the Bible are we commanded to pray?
"If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Matthew 6:6 "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."
"If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Matthew 6:9 "After this manner therefore pray ye:
"If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Luke 18:1 "And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;"
"If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Ephesians 6:18 "Praying ALWAYS with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;"
"If ye love me, keep my commandments."
I Thessalonians 5:17 "Pray without ceasing."
"If ye love me, keep my commandments."
I Timothy 2:8 "I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."


Labels: , ,