Thimble Thoughts: Bruce's Woodworking Project

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bruce's Woodworking Project

Bruce's father gave him a love for working with his hands. It's evident in the things he makes. I wish I had pictures of some of the rooms he has done for children. Simply amazing!! Transforming a room into a farm or the Wizard of Oz's Munchkinland isn't easy, you know!

But he has done some things for me too.

He threw this together one day just to see if he could do it. There's another chair to this set but in the other corner of the porch.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We wanted to do some things to the bedroom so after we painted, he made some beautiful shutters for the window. They have an old world look to them and I just love them. They're perfect for him while he sleeps during the day too, making the room nice and dark! And when he's off, I like to open them to let in the sunlight.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We had talked about getting new bedroom furniture. But the furniture we had was still in really good shape. Broyhill lasts forever, didn't you know? It was VERY DARK and had a pirate look to it with the brass round rings for handles and everything was trimmed in brass plates. It was nice, but very old. It was my parent's set as I was growing up, passed down to me. It really was in good shape, just needed a face lift. So a face lift it got! Bruce carefully measured each piece and cut wood to fit over the old pieces. He put on new handles and even gave the mirror a pretty curved look at the top where once it was just flat.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He also took my dresser after covering it and built an armoire or an oakley at the top. However, he never got around to making the doors. With his busy work schedule, seven days a week, it was very difficult to find the time.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So I waited......and waited......and waited. Until last week. :) He was off for a few days and able to work on the doors. I was so excited to see what it would look like.

Before beginning any project, Bruce will turn on his radio. Most of the time, of course Bluegrass gospel is on. You know, the Isaacs, Rochesters, and other favorites. But I have come out of the house to the Inspirations singing to the neighborhood too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He worked....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

...and measured....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

...and drilled.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Almost finished!!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

His last task was putting on the brass latch to match the one he put on the shutters.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The finished product and my personal carpenter. :)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thank you, Honey! I love it. And I love you too. OoxXXOxo

Labels: ,