Thimble Thoughts: Harrison Is Ready!!

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Harrison Is Ready!!

I have three children. Three of my most cherished possessions. Justin, Hannah, and Harrison.

As a Christian mother, our goal is to lead our little ones to Christ. Justin was five. As most children, he had tons of questions before taking that final step of asking Jesus to save him. We had returned home from church one Sunday night and he couldn't take it any longer. Bruce talked to him by themselves in Justin's room and then Bruce called me in to pray with both of them. It was so sweet. The first person Justin called was his cousin, Michael. He said, "Michael, you have got to get saved so you don't go to Hell!! All you have to do is ask your Daddy and he'll help you pray." It was so sweet.

With Hannah, we had just started attending Faith where she was in the Patch program using the Patch Club devotion books for part of her Bible lessons in Kindergarten. They were focused on salvation and so after many days of questions, she sat at the dining table and said that she really needed to get saved because she knew if she didn't she was going to go to Hell and she didn't want to go there. "I want to go to Heaven, Mama, with you and Daddy and Justin, and Jesus." Bruce was at work but was so happy when he came home and found out that I had prayed with Hannah and she had accepted Christ.

Today, my third child took that final step. There was desperation with Harrison. He had more intense questions than Justin and Hannah. One day I spent an hour and a half just answering questions. He asked every question he could possibly think of. I had been putting him off because I still wasn't sure if he was ready, but he did keep saying he was afraid of dying and going to Hell. I had not felt the uncertainty with Justin and Hannah that I was feeling with Harrison, so I talked to our Pastor about it the other night. He helped me see that Harrison was ready to take that step and said that the next time he asked to get saved to pray with him. So now I was afraid that Harrison wouldn't bring it up again. I prayed and prayed that he would bring it up again. But he wouldn't....For days. I was beginning to grieve and it only made me pray harder. Finally, today, as we were driving to the church to pick Hannah up from a trip she had taken with her Denim and Lace group to our Pastor's home in the mountains, he brought it up. He started asking questions again and finally, his last question hit it home for him. "Well, when is Jesus coming back?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. It could be at any time."

"What do you mean any time? You mean like He could come back right now?"

I watched him from my rear view mirror and said, "yap, he could come back right now."

I will never forget the look of utter fear in those little blue eyes. Great big tears filled those blue eyes, he began to frown, grabbed his seat belt and began looking up into the sky, "Oh no, Mama, I don't want Him to come back until I get saved. I know I'll go to Hell!"

We were just a few feet from the church parking lot and I asked if he was ready to get saved now.

"Yes, I need to do it now. Right now!"

So when I pulled into the parking lot, I crawled into the back seat with him and we prayed. When we finished praying he said, "OK, now I'm ready for Him to come back."

How precious!

Labels: